Buying a compound miter saw these days is not as easy as it used to be. Hobbyists have an even harder time differentiating between the many brands that seem to offer very similar products, some of which are almost identical in pricing too.
To save you the trouble of conducting lots of time-consuming research yourself, here’s a list of the top 5 compound miter saws you can find.
They’re all great saws but only one of them will be the best compound miter saw for you. The smallest of details can often make a power tool stand out from the competition.
Top 5 Compound Miter Saw Comparison Chart
Best Compound Miter Saw Reviews
1. Delta Homecraft H26-260L 10” Compound Miter Saw
The Homecraft H26-260L is one of Delta’s more affordable choices. It’s a compound miter saw that can be handled by beginners and professionals with ease.
The 5500 RPM is achieved with just a 14A motor. This amount of torque is just what you need to work your way through wet or tough wood. The 10” carbide-tipped blade is more than you need to cut with high accuracy at an angle.
The single-pass capacity of the Homecraft H26-260L is 4x4 or 2x6 at 90 degrees and 2x6 on bevels. However, it turns out that the clamps don’t always handle everything you throw at the saw. Because of this, you may find it difficult to work with wood thicker over 5.5 inches.
Despite this little hiccup, the Homecraft H26-260L is a dream for woodworkers who are always on the move. At just 25 pounds, this might just be the best compound miter saw in terms of portability.
The detents are conveniently placed for 0, 15, 22.5, 30 and 45 degrees. The spindle lock is high quality and lets you remove the blade nut with ease and in complete safety. The laser guide is a nice addition on a budget-friendly compound miter saw but it is not that effective. Seeing how easy the saw is to control, you probably won’t feel the need to replace the laser battery once it runs out.
Like any tool that’s used for precision work, the ergonomics can make or break a product. Fortunately, the Homecraft H26-260L has a comfortable handle and a very good grip that let you work for hours at a time without needing a break.
- Lightweight unit is easy to move from room to room or even from job to job.
- Works with virtually all miter saw stands
- Spindle lock hold spindle securely while blade nut is loosened and removed
- Capacity - Cuts nominal 4x4 and 2x6 at 90 degrees and 2x6 at bevel setting, with one pass
- Ergonomic handle for safe, predictable operation
What's to like about the Delta Homecraft H26-260L 10” Compound Miter Saw
- Compatible with most miter saw stands
- 45-degree bevel rotation on both sides
- High 5500 RPM motor
- Spindle lock
What's not to like about the Delta Homecraft H26-260L 10” Compound Miter Saw
- Average quality horizontal clamp
2. Black+Decker M1850BD 7.25” Compound Miter Saw
The M1850BD is one of the lightest portable miter saws on the market. It was designed for precision frame cutting, base molding and anything else you might need for your home projects.
The included 24-tooth carbide-tipped blade is 7.25 inches in diameter, so this is one of the smaller miter saws. Despite that, it can cut through 2x4 at 90 degrees and 2x3 at 45 degrees due to its quality and the 9A 120V motor that gives it its torque. The compatibility with standard outlets comes in handy especially for amateur woodworkers who don’t have a complete workshop already set up.
The weight is around 17 pounds and this is achieved mainly by using die-cast aluminum parts. Combine this with the 15.2 x 15.8 x 17.5 inches (LWH) dimensions and you have a really easy-to-operate electric cutting tool.
When it comes to ergonomics the M1850BD does a really good job and this is why it still makes a strong argument for the best compound miter saw despite having a smaller blade.
The miter range is equal on both sides with 45 degrees on the left and the right. You also have nine detents preset for quick adjustments while working on a deadline. The precision is impressive and while the blade size might limit your choice of projects, at least you’ll be working in a clean environment thanks to the dust collector bag.
- Compact, portable saw for cutting accuracy
- Idea for Crown and base molding jobs
- Use for trim, framing and craft projects
- Miter range 0-45° left and right, with nine positive stops
- Die-cast aluminum construction for an overall weight of under 17 pounds
What's to like about the Black+Decker M1850BD 7.25” Compound Miter Saw
- Highly accurate
- Quality blade
- Dust collection bag
- Durable aluminum parts
What's not to like about the Black+Decker M1850BD 7.25” Compound Miter Saw
- 25” is not a popular size
3. Ryobi ZRTS1345L 10” Compound Miter Saw
When it comes to woodworking, Ryobi always manages to cater to both ends of the consumer spectrum. The ZRTS1345L is easy to use, accurate compound miter saw that might just be the best compound miter saw any hobbyist could hope for. It is budget-friendly and has the precision and quality of a high-end Ryobi power tool.
The ZRTS1345L is equipped with a 14A 120V motor that works at 5000 RPM. This is more than enough to cut easily through hardwood. It also helps a lot in producing very smooth edges. Even without any tinkering on your part, the ZRTS1345L can make cuts in 4x4s using its default settings.
The 24-tooth carbide blade is 10 inches. The clear visibility on the bevel scale from both sides will let you have the best experience making adjustments. To enhance your precision even more, Ryobi added a laser guide and a D-shape handle for extra comfort and a solid grip.
The bevel has nine detents at all the commonly used angles for quick adjustments. There’s one feature that’s really impressive as it is not found on most compound miter saws, at least not in this price range. The ZRTS1345L has a very quick response electric brake to add another layer of safety and keep you from making poor cuts.
The dust collection bag is not the best you’ll ever see and you may even need to use a shop-vac to get the most out of it. That being said it’s one of many small details that you just don’t expect to see on a budget-friendly compound miter saw.
- Heavy duty 14-amp motor for a variety of cuts
- Adjustable exact line laser alignment system accurately aligns cut line with blade
- 9 ball detent stops at the most common miter cutting angles
- Electric brake stops the blade in seconds
- Machined cast-in miter scale for accurate table alignment
What's to like about the Ryobi ZRTS1345L 10” Compound Miter Saw
- Nine positive stops
- Dust collection bag
- Electric brake
- Laser guide
- Bevel scale visible on both sides
What's not to like about the Ryobi ZRTS1345L 10” Compound Miter Saw
- Needs a shop-vac for efficient dust collection
4. Genesis GMS1015LC 10” Compound Miter Saw
The GMS1015LC is one of the top compound miter saws on the market, a value leader in its price range. The stock model comes with all the accessories you need to get started on base molding, frames and all kinds of precision woodworking requiring a fast-spinning 10-inch blade.
The powerful 15A 120V motor spins the blade at 4600 RPM. While that’s not uncommon in compound miter saws the blade itself is a different story. The GMS1015LC comes equipped with a 60-tooth carbide-tipped blade for unparalleled cutting power and accuracy.
The electric brake is highly responsive and the laser guide is actually powerful enough to make a difference in precision cutting. It is powered by two batteries which are included in the package.
The bevel has the usual nine detents at all desirable angles and can be adjusted up to 45 degrees on both sides. The spindle lock facilitates a quick replacement of your 10-inch blade. The hold-down clamp is high quality for this price range and makes the GMS1015LC even more desirable.
What’s interesting is that the GMS1015LC also comes with two extension wings (one on each side), a dust bag and a hex range. Combined with the laser that’s ready to go out of the box, there are a lot of quality-of-life and safety features on this power tool that just might make it the best compound miter saw.
- Make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees left | perform compound Miter cuts with ease!
- Use compound cutting for crown molding, shadow boxes, Picture frames, and more | the Genesis compound Miter saw is inexpensive and versatile!
- Laser cutting guide for quicker alignment and improved accuracy | Know where the cut will be ahead of time with the integrated laser guide!
- Electric brake stops the blade in seconds and Arbor lock for quick blade changes
- Includes: 60T Carbide blade installed, hold down Clamp, dust bag, Two extension wings, blade wrench and two AAA batteries for laser
What's to like about the Genesis GMS1015LC 10” Compound Miter Saw
- 10” 60-tooth carbide-tipped blade
- Dust bag
- Extension wings
- Laser guide
- Powerful motor
- Electric brake (batteries included)
What's not to like about the Genesis GMS1015LC 10” Compound Miter Saw
- We couldn’t find any significant drawbacks
5. SKIL 3821-01 12” Compound Miter Saw
The SKIL 3821-01 compound miter saw is built like a beast. With its strong motor, choice of high-quality materials and its above-average weight, it really deserves the name “power tool”. What’s interesting is that this bulky appearance is just a disguise for a very precise cutting tool that handles large pieces of hardwood with utmost finesse.
Few compound miter saws can cut as easily as the SKIL 3821-01. The 12-inch blade has the ability to do clean 4x6 crosscuts at 90 degrees and 4x4 cuts at 45 degrees with ease. The carbide-tipped blade rotates at 4500 RPM thanks to the 15A motor.
At 42.5 pounds this is not the lightest compound miter saw, yet its compatibility with standard outlets and six foot long cord make it a desirable portable power tool. It also does a great job at keeping the work area as clean as possible with its dust bag.
The accuracy with which you make your cuts can be improved while using the laser guide. The electric brake and the preset detents on the bevel also contribute to your precision woodworking projects. The two table extensions at both ends of the saw give you the ability to be more flexible with your choice of projects and cuts.
- Laser Cutline Guide for fast and accurate cuts
- 9 Positive stops for setting common miter angles
- Powerful 15 Amp Motor with 4,500 RPM
- Table extension with left/right extension rails for long, large work pieces
- Quick-Mount System for quick and easy setup on SKIL miter saw stand (3302-02)
What's to like about the SKIL 3821-01 12” Compound Miter Saw
- 12-inch blade
- 15A motor
- Two wing extensions
- Quick mount system
- Nine bevel detents
What's not to like about the SKIL 3821-01 12” Compound Miter Saw
- Quick mount system works only on the 3821-02 Skil miter saw stand
The Genesis GMS1015LC is probably the best compound miter saw that both hobbyists and professionals can use. It packs a lot of power and uses a menacing 60-tooth carbide-tipped blade to make the most accurate of cuts at up to 45-degree angles. It can be both a day-to-day tool and a backup job-site tool.
If you want to go for a better-known brand, the Ryobi ZRTS1345L might fit the bill and its performance and value are hard to question, especially the certified refurbished version that comes with a factory warranty. It is also highly accurate and comes with all the safety features you need for work and hobby projects.